CECAN is producing a variety of resources available for download from this page. They are all available under a Creative Commons CC BY 4.0 licence.
CECAN’s Updated Manifesto, April 2018 Version 2.0
- Evaluation of Complex Policy and Programmes: A CECAN module for future policy analysts and evaluators - Dr Corinna Elsenbroich, Prof. Nigel Gilbert, Dr Dione Hills, Dr Emma Uprichard
CECAN Managing Conflicts of Interest
CECAN has launched a Policy and Practice Note Series, with e-versions available to download.
Qualitative Comparative Analysis: A Pragmatic Method for Evaluating Intervention - Professor David Byrne, Durham University (Lead).
Agent Based Modelling for Evaluation - Helen Wilkinson, Risk Solutions (Lead).
Dependency Models - Dr Emma Uprichard, Warwick University (Lead).
Testing Contribution Claims with Bayesian Updating - Dr Barbara Befani, University of Surrey (Lead).
Learning Lessons for Evaluating Complexity Across the Nexus - Dr Clare Twigger-Ross, Bill Sheate - Collingwood Environmental Planning (Lead).
Dynamic Pattern Synthesis - Professor Phil Haynes, University of Brighton (Lead).
Revaluation: A Participative Approach to Measuring and Making Change - Andrew Darnton, AD Research & Analysis (Lead).
Maximising Impact from Evaluations in Complex Policy Areas - Dr Karen Scott, University of Exeter (Lead).
Managing Deep Uncertainty: Exploratory Modelling, Adaptive Plans and Decision Support - Dr Jan Kwakkel, Delft University of Technology
CECAN Project Reports
Learning Lessons for Evaluating Complexity at the Nexus - A meta-evaluation of CEP projects (Collingwood Environmental Planning)
CECAN and NEKS held a workshop with senior infrastructure experts and academics to explore the issues around the relationships between public infrastructure and private finance over the life of infrastructure projects. Here is a link to the report from this workshop.
Sara Giorgi, CECAN Fellow, has completed her project "How to Improve the Evaluation of Complex Systems to Better Inform Policymaking: Learning From Evaluating DEFRA's Reward and Recognition Fund. Sara's final report is available to download here.
To access the Summary Report following the CECAN International Symposium held in November 2017, please click here. Furthermore, links to the presentations that were given at the Symposium are available to download here.
Joanna Boehnert, CECAN Fellow, has completed her project and her final poster depicting the visualisation of complexity, can be downloaded here.
CECAN Annual Conference 2018 - Policy Evaluation for a Complex World
- 1.1 Evaluation of Complex Policy and Programmes: A CECAN Module for Future Policy Analysts and Evaluators.
- 1.2 Developing Guidance for Government on Dealing with Complexity in Evaluation– an Annex to the Magenta Book?
- 1.3 Making Evaluation Real: Qualitative Comparative Analysis and environmental policy (Case based methods Part 1):
- A: Dave Byrne QCA as a Method for Dealing with Complexity
- B:Clare Twigger Ross Investigating the Value of Qualitative Comparatative Analysis in Relation to the DEFRA FRCP Evaluation
- C: Amy Proctor, QCA and the Environment Agency's Evaluation of Waste Crime.
- 1.4 Participatory Systems Mapping: Exploring and Negotiating Complexity in Evaluation with BEIS and DEFRA
- 2.1 Where do I start in Navigating Complex Evaluation Methods? Developing and using the Choosing Appropriate Evaluation Methods tool
- 2.2 Two New Advances in Finding Dynamic Patterns in Complex Systems (Case based methods - Part 2):
- A: Phil Haynes Dynamic Pattern Synthesis
- B: Brian Castellani Case Based Methods and Agent Based Modelling
- 2.3 Complexity, Policy and Evaluation in Practice: Improving Theories of Change to Address Complexity
- 2.4 Getting value, values and valuation into evaluation:
- A: Richard Gunton, Adam Hejnowicz, The Pluralistic Evaluation Framework for Policy Impact Assessment, Appraisal & Evaluation
- B: Nick Kirsop Taylor, The Criticality of Culture in Delivering and Evaluating Public Institutional Approaches
- C: Andrew Darnton, The Difference Between Values and Value
- Anna Kaxira - Complex Policy Interlinkages Between Anaerobic Digestion and Food Waste in the UK
- Betheney Wills - Case Study of the Marine Pioneer
- Brian Castellani - Case Based Methods and Agent Based Modelling
- Nick Kirsop-Taylor - The Criticality of Culture in Delivering and Evaluating Public Institutional Approaches to Managing Complexity Across the Nexus: The Case of Natural Resources Wales
- Richard Gunton - The Pluralistic Evaluation Framework
- Thomas Dixon - Democratising Complex Evaluation
- Henry Leveson-Gower - Trust in Water
- Joanna Boehnert - The Visual Representation of Complexity
CECAN E-Newsletter Archive
September 2018 - CECAN Newsletter
June 2018 - CECAN Newsletter
March 2018 - CECAN Newsletter
December 2017 - CECAN Newsletter
November 2017 - CECAN Newsletter
August 2017 - CECAN Newsletter
May 2017 - CECAN Newsletter
February 2017 - CECAN Newsletter
November 2016 - CECAN Newsletter
June 2016 - CECAN Newsletter